I don’t know about you guys, but I need some food in my life that doesn’t involve pumpkin or squash. And initially this was going to be a post-Thanksgiving recipe post, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it made sense to post it before, just in case anyone was still looking for an easy, healthy(ish) Thanksgiving side dish.
The nuttiness from the farro with the woodsy mushrooms, licorice-like fennel and slight sweetness from the chestnuts are great flavor compliments to go along side your turkey (or tofurky?) and gravy. Plus, this is a ONE POT dish that’s made on the STOVE, which means it doesn’t have to fight any other dishes for oven space. We all know the oven is the most valuable real estate on Thanksgiving. Couch space after dinner is a very close second. 🙂
So whether or not it makes its way to your Thanksgiving table, it’s so quick and easy, you’ll want to keep this one in your back pocket all winter long – plays well with steak, chicken, veggies, and even alone!
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced (such as shiitake, cremini, oyster)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped roasted chestnuts (can use jarred)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter (grass fed preferably, or ghee if vegan or dairy-free)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- parmesan cheese (for serving, if not vegan or dairy-free)
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Once butter is melted, add mushrooms and thyme, sauté for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Once mushrooms have started to brown, add the chopped chestnuts, fennel and garlic, and continue to sauté another 3 - 5 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked through but still slightly firm, and fennel is translucent.
- Stir in salt and pepper, then add ¼ cup water (or vegetable stock if you have it on hand, or white wine) to degalze the bottom of the pan, scraping up all the browned bits on the bottom.
- Add the cooked farro to the pan, stirring until just heated, about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with grated parmesan cheese.
Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
*Nutritional Information provided is a rough estimate for informational purposes and based on the recipe measurements, specific ingredients used and nutritional data available. Any variance in ingredients or measurements may affect the Nutritional Information accordingly.